Your Easy Local Moving Plan (19 tips)
Moving locally? Follow these tips and tricks to create an easy local moving plan that will make the process fast, efficient, and stress-free.
Even if your move is just across town (or even across the street) it pays to be prepared. Having an easy local moving plan to follow can make a big project much more manageable. Remember, any moving job, even a local move, can be complicated. But, with a plan and a capable local moving company, your next look move will be a breeze.
Try these 19 local moving tips and see how much easier the process becomes!
6 Months Away from Your Local Move
- Talk to your family. Get them on board with your easy local moving plan and assign each family member a job to do.
- Pick your moving date. Choosing this well in advance can help you coordinate the move with work, school, and other obligations – plus most movers will be free this far in advance.
- Notify your landlord. If you have a landlord, they need to know that you are planning to vacate the premises.
- Hire a local moving company. Look for movers that know your area and have a lot of experience with local moves. Ask them how they work and choose the one you like best.
- Sort through your belongings. Set aside and make a list of items you plan to throw out, sell, donate, or otherwise get rid of.
1 to 2 Months Until Your Local Move
- Take an inventory. Make a list and take pictures of everything you plan to take with you during the move – especially valuable items.
- Gather important documents. Make sure you have all your insurance documents, leases, passports, ID cards and anything else safely stowed away where you can find them.
- Get moving supplies. If you are doing a DIY-packing job, start buying packing supplies now. You can always buy more, which is better than scrambling to get everything just before the move.
- Hire packing services. You may want to make things easier and hire your local moving company to provide professional packing services as well.
- Have a yard sale. Take all the sellable items from tip #5 and sell them at a yard sale (or put them up for sale online).
2 Weeks Before Your Local Move
- Notify your insurance agent and post office. Make sure they know where you are going and get proper documents and forwarding set up.
- Notify service companies. Set an end-date for utilities and other services at your current address and set up a start date for them (gas, electric, internet, etc.) at your new address.
- Pack almost everything. Start putting non-essential items into boxes and labeling them so the movers know where to put things.
- Begin cleaning rooms. Once you’re mostly packed, do a deep clean of each room, getting corners, walls, and other places that were hard to get to when the rooms were full.
The Day of Your Easy Local Move
- Pack 1-2 days of essentials. This is a ‘just in case’ precaution, and a convenient way to make sure you have what you’ll need even if most of your stuff is still in boxes.
- Check each room. Make sure nothing was left in any of the rooms that you intend to keep.
- Pick up trash, sweep floors, etc. Get rid of any remaining trash or debris from the move.
- Track progress. Make sure your boxes and furniture are going to their proper places in your new home.
- Tip your friendly movers. Your moving team just did a big job getting your stuff into your new home, they will appreciate a tip!
Remember to Pick a Mover Who Knows the Area
With these easy local moving tips, your local move should be smooth and stress-free. Remember to pick a local moving company that knows the area as this will make your move even easier. Good luck with your next move!
Do you have any other tips to add to the easy local moving plan? Let us know in the comments!