The difference between a difficult move and an efficient, stress-free move depends on the moving company you go with. This article will show you how to hire a local NJ mover to get your move done right!
There are a lot of local New Jersey moving companies out there, so how do you pick the right one for your next local move? After all, most movers will be able to get your stuff from location A to location B, but not all of them can do it at the same level of speed and quality. You need to hire a local NJ mover with the perfect combination of experience, professionalism, and customer service.
The benefits of hiring a great local NJ mover are many:
- Reduced stress
- Faster total moving time
- Service tailored to your moving needs
- Proper handling of all your belongings
- Respect for your time and privacy
To help you find the right mover for you, here are 9 tips to hire a great local NJ moving company that will make your next moving project a breeze.
Make sure you hire a credible local NJ moving company
- Check reviews and recommendations. Check out Yelp! and other consumer reporting platforms to see what real people say about different movers’ services. Reach out to friends who have moved recently and ask which local moving company they used.
- Look for moving insurance and licenses. These should be clearly listed on their website, but don’t stop there. If you are seriously considering hiring a specific company, always verify their registration numbers with the state or insurance provider. This will protect you in the case of any problems or accidents.
Hint: Go to Safer Systems, the website of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), and enter the company’s USDOT number and click on “Search” (you can also search by name or MC number).
- Talk to several local NJ moving companies. We recommend talking to 3 or 4 (or more) moving companies. Collect estimates so you can compare prices. Ask questions and get a feel for how they treat people. You want professionals, but you also want considerate people who will handle your belongings with care. Trust your gut.
Check out how each moving company works
- Make sure they take a moving inventory. You want to make sure everything involved in your local NJ move is accounted for. This ensures that everything gets from A to B and there is no confusion over where something is. If a prospective moving company doesn’t take a full inventory of your home or office before a move, look somewhere else.
- Request a thorough walk-through. You have the right to request a walk-through of your home or office before you hire a local NJ mover. Go room-by-room and point out everything that needs to be moved. You (and your mover) don’t want any surprises on the day of the move, such as an entire extra room of furniture to transport!
- Ask for a description of how moving-day will go. Your moving supervisor should be able to take you through the moving process from when the movers arrive to when they leave at the end of the day. If something doesn’t sound right or doesn’t match your estimate (see below), ask about it in more detail.
Match their working policies to your comfort level
- Be wary of companies that ask for large deposits. Some companies may require a deposit, but never pay the full-fee in advance. Pay on delivery once you are satisfied that the contract has been fulfilled. We also suggest using a credit card to pay, though you can always tip New Jersey your movers with cash.
- Ask for a thorough contract. Get everything in writing, from pickup-dates and delivery times to any extra fees (see below). Do not sign a blank contract. Make sure everything from your moving inventory is listed in case you need to file a claim.
- Beware of extra fees. Some moving projects pose special challenges, such as multiple flights of stairs, limited access to elevators, or narrow streets that won’t fit a large moving vehicle. Being charged extra in these difficult cases is normal, but make sure you understand everything you’ll be charged for ahead of time, so you aren’t surprised on moving day.
Pick the local NJ mover who’s right for you!
If you’ve followed these 9 tips to hire a local NJ mover, you should feel confident about the moving companies you’ve researched. Now it’s time to pick the one that fits your budget, requirements, and expectations.
Do you have questions or comments about how to hire a local NJ mover? Let us know in the comments!